*deep breath* fan stuff
Jan. 23rd, 2013 12:23 amJanuary has been incredibly busy for me. Most of my team at work, by the sheer fact of being placed in the US, got to go to a conference for a week, while I stayed and worked :/ Being the sole person at work was a challenge. Plus it meant I couldn't do what's really important - my fannish thing.
Aaand because I don't want to talk about my OTW staff duties just yet, here's a news:
I have made my 100th edit on Fanlore today.

It seemed fitting that it was a Teen Wolf related edit, because it's one of the fandoms I'm most passionate about right now.
Obviously, it won't be my last edit. It could've been (I like round numbers), but a Person Who Shall Not Be Named suggested somebody should really take care of the Buffyverse part of Fanlore. Buffy has been baby's first online fandom (baby's first Fandom, period, was Stargate SG1. I shall love you forever and ever.) and Spike/Xander was baby's first slash.
I did some digging. And OMG, let me tell you, I never realized how much Buffy Fandom depended on Geocities. A lot of websites are down and I don't know how to access what might be left of those. Buffy fandom was at its most active when fanworks were still questionable and nobody really wanted their legal name connected to their fan name. To realize that there's no trace of Morbid Much? and the only mementos of Ryan's awesome fanvids that I have are the vids I burned on a CD once... No art, no screencaps...
I'm pouting as I think about it. All that history and art and fan interactions - it's lost. *clings to Buffyverse desperately*
And the worst thing is that I have no idea how to approach salvaging all the stuff that might've get lost online, but probably lives on people's HDDs and CDs...
Aaand because I don't want to talk about my OTW staff duties just yet, here's a news:
I have made my 100th edit on Fanlore today.

It seemed fitting that it was a Teen Wolf related edit, because it's one of the fandoms I'm most passionate about right now.
Obviously, it won't be my last edit. It could've been (I like round numbers), but a Person Who Shall Not Be Named suggested somebody should really take care of the Buffyverse part of Fanlore. Buffy has been baby's first online fandom (baby's first Fandom, period, was Stargate SG1. I shall love you forever and ever.) and Spike/Xander was baby's first slash.
I did some digging. And OMG, let me tell you, I never realized how much Buffy Fandom depended on Geocities. A lot of websites are down and I don't know how to access what might be left of those. Buffy fandom was at its most active when fanworks were still questionable and nobody really wanted their legal name connected to their fan name. To realize that there's no trace of Morbid Much? and the only mementos of Ryan's awesome fanvids that I have are the vids I burned on a CD once... No art, no screencaps...
I'm pouting as I think about it. All that history and art and fan interactions - it's lost. *clings to Buffyverse desperately*
And the worst thing is that I have no idea how to approach salvaging all the stuff that might've get lost online, but probably lives on people's HDDs and CDs...
no subject
Date: 2013-01-23 12:01 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2013-01-23 07:58 am (UTC)Makes you want to add everyhing TODAY because it could be gone forever...
I won't tell you how many edits I've made JUST TODAY
Date: 2013-01-23 03:06 am (UTC)Hey! 100 is a lot for me!
Date: 2013-01-23 08:00 am (UTC)Re: Hey! 100 is a lot for me!
Date: 2013-01-24 12:21 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2013-01-24 11:58 am (UTC)You should worry about all those Tumblr users going through withdrawl.
no subject
Date: 2013-01-25 02:36 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2013-01-23 11:53 pm (UTC)That's so sad about the Buffy sites! It really shows why we need Fanlore.
no subject
Date: 2013-01-24 12:16 am (UTC)I was really crushed about the sites. It's terrible to go "oh, I remember this site hosted this huge awesome Angel/Spike fic... where is it? WHERE IS IT???? WHAT DO YOU MEAN IT'S NOT THEREEEEEEEEEE?!!!!"
It's the trauma of your fav character getting killed, all over again...
no subject
Date: 2013-01-26 07:33 pm (UTC)My approach is to find a link list, make a page for each website, every archive, all the webrings I can find and add the link lists I find via Wayback to my to do list (http://fanlore.org/wiki/User:Frogspace#Buffy).
That's basically what MPH did for zine fandom. If you have enough pages, the connections begin to appear. It's tedious and a lot of groundwork, but it can also be really satisfying to work through a link list and get that sense of achievement when you reach the end. :)
no subject
Date: 2013-01-26 07:49 pm (UTC)And I think I might use your strategy for the old sites. And now I need to dig through all of my old CDs in search of all the fanvids I downloaded over the years. If I'm lucky Ryan's SLAY HIM is there somewhere :)
no subject
Date: 2013-02-18 02:10 am (UTC)